Apple is very proclaimed for enabling security and emergency features. While they have recently introduced the satellite-based Emergency SOS feature, it looks like the brand has something even better up its sleeves.
If you are a resident of California, Oregon, or Japan, three of the most Earthquake prone states and countries, then you are likely going to find benefits in the new iOS Earthquake alert feature.
Once enabled, the feature alerts the users about any ongoing or incoming earthquake that they should be aware of, especially if it requires them to move to areas of safety.
This article will guide you on how you can enable the iOS Earthquake alert to keep yourself safe during imminent shakes and tremors in the area.
How to Enable iOS Earthquake Alert directly on iPhone?
As we mentioned, if you live in California, Oregon, or Japan, enabling the iOS Earthquake alert is pretty simple. All you need to do is follow the steps mentioned:
- Open Settings on your iPhone
- Navigate to Notifications
- Scroll down until you come across the term “Government Alerts”
- Toggle the Emergency Alerts and the Public Safety Alerts options to green
Once you enable this, you will get consistent updates about any or every kind of natural calamity that’s potentially happening in and around your location. This includes updates about Earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.
How to Enable iOS Earthquake Alert using an App?
If the above option doesn’t suffice your inner conscience and you want something more concrete, there are iOS apps that offer the same functions.
For this, all you need to do is follow the steps mentioned:
- Open App Store on your iPhone
- Navigate to the search button that’s in the upper right corner
- Type “MyShake” and press Enter
- Once you find the app, tap on Get and start the installation process
- Once done, open the app, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the set-up.
You do have to accept the licensing agreement to be able to use the app, so that’s another thing you have to keep in mind. Once the setup is complete, enable the notifications and alerts from this app so you receive them when earthquakes are happening around or in your area.
These are the two most common methods of enabling iOS Earthquake updates on your iPhone. If you live in areas where Earthquakes are fairly common, we’d recommend knowing and enabling them without any second thoughts.