When iOS 15 was launched with its new privacy and security updates back in 2021 there was a rush of rumours among the email marketers that with this update release email marketing might come to an end. But given that Apple Mail and Apple mobile devices account for more than 35% of the worldwide email provider market share, those concerns didn’t seem too far-fetched. With the release of the iOS 15 email changes, the way you exploit email open rates may alter.
What is iOS 15 Email Marketing?
The update included Mail Privacy Protection, which helps users to secure their email activity by prohibiting third-party marketing firms from gathering tracking data. With the Mail Protection Policy, your email marketing campaign must undergo some improvements in order to continue operating. To do so, you must first recognize that such adjustments are unavoidable.
There are three major modifications in iOS 15 that has an impact on your email marketing campaigns. Mail Privacy Protection, which iOS 15 users must enable, reduces the accuracy of email open rates by removing email trackers and hiding your clients’ IP addresses. iCloud+ will have a new ‘Private Relay’ function that will prohibit you from tracking Safari users on your website. Hide My Email allows your clients to substitute their real email address with a proxy address that they may modify at any moment. The most major consequence of iOS 15 on email marketing is that you will no longer be able to track who and how many clients open your emails. This implies that for iOS 15 users, your current email open rate benchmarks based on historical data will need to be updated.
How to use it?
Fortunately, there are some changes you can make to your email marketing strategy to guarantee you continue to obtain a good ROI.
- Email marketers should develop new client groups comprised solely of iOS 15 users and isolate the email performance for these categories. This will allow you to correctly set up new benchmarks while keeping your other clients’ data untouched.
- It would be great if you put more attention on analytics and insights in order to deliver appropriate email communication, which would result in more clicks and higher conversion. Utilize your consumers’ behaviours on your app or website to deliver relevant emails.
- The iOS 15 email upgrades, we feel, will enhance your segmentation practices. Creating client groups based on your consumers’ personalities, lives, views, and preferences is becoming increasingly important.
- Filter consumers who book taxi rides from your mobile app at least 40% of the time between 10 AM and 12 PM, allowing you to send emails with special coupons throughout the same time frame.
- Find the bottom 20% of your clients that book hotels during the week and provide them incentives through email to encourage weekend reservations.
- Look at the top 10% of your consumers who read political news and send them breaking news alerts through email.
- Because Apple will remove all email trackers from your email when your consumer opens it via the Mail app on iOS 15 devices, you’ll need to rethink your location-based marketing efforts.
- Current email benchmarks and targets should be updated
- Replace the email open rate as the primary metric of email marketing effectiveness by sending emails with relevant content to the appropriate client group based on activities made within your product.
- Make segments based on your clients’ personalities, lifestyles, views, and preferences.
Until next time, with another topic. Till then, Toodles.