Riley Testut, an iOS app developer, has created AltStore, an alternative to Apple’s App Store. The coolest feature of this alternative store is that it includes Delta, a Nintendo emulator created by Testut himself. Users of the iPhone and iPad will be able to play classic games directly from their Apple devices. Isn’t that cool? Fortunately, you do not need to jailbreak your iOS device to use this store. AltStore, a third- party app store that lets you sideload apps onto your iPhone and iPad using only your Apple ID.
Because we will not be using the App Store, installing AltStore is not as simple as installing any other app. Instead, we’ll use a computer to complete this task. (Mac and Windows are both supported.)
How to download Altstore for iOS
Before you begin, ensure that you have iCloud configured on your Mac, or install the iCloud desktop client and iTunes if you’re using a Windows PC.
- Navigate to altstore.io using your computer’s web browser.
- Download and install AltServer.
- Continue with the installation after extracting the downloaded file.
- To get iCloud quickly, simply click “Download.”
- Next, connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes if you’re using Windows. If you are using Mac launch Finder.
- To view the Summary page, click on the device icon.
- Scroll down and check the “Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi” box.
- Click on the AltStore icon, select “Install AltStore” from the dropdown menu, and then click on your computer- connected iPhone or iPad.
- To continue with the installation, you’ll be prompted to sign in with your Apple account.
- Once you’ve typed in the details, click on “Install”.
- AltStore should be installed in a matter of seconds on your device.
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings -> General and then tap on “Profiles & Device Management.”
- Tap on the email address you used to install AltStore.
- Now, tap on “Trust” to continue.
- When prompted to confirm, tap “Trust” once more. You should now be able to open AltStore without any problems.
For now, this method can be used to install Altstore, but we don’t know how long these steps would work for as Apple keeps changing its policies.
Until next time, with another topic. Till then, Toodles.