Every day, we receive several text messages on our phones and it is not possible to keep all of them. We usually try to save important messages and delete unimportant ones.
But what if you accidentally delete an important text on your iPhone? Can it be recovered? Or is it gone forever? We will be answering all these questions in the post below.
Can I recover deleted text messages on my iPhone?
Luckily, there are a few ways through which you can recover deleted text messages on your iPhone. So if you are looking for a solution, read the lines below.
Solution 1: Use iCloud
The first and easiest way to retrieve deleted text messages is via iCloud. However, this method will work only if your phone is set to backup to iCloud. It should be noted that this method will return your phone to the setting when the backup was created. As a result, you might lose some of your present data. You should use this method only if you are okay with that.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Launch the Settings app.
- You will see your name on top of the Settings page. Tap on it to open your Apple ID section.
- Select ‘iCloud’ and check if ‘Messages’ is set to ‘On’.
- Go to ‘iCloud Backup’ to see if your device has been backed up recently.
- Go back to the main menu of the Settings app and select ‘General.’
- Scroll down to find the option ‘Transfer or Reset iPhone’ and tap on it.
- Select ‘Erase All Content and Settings.’ When the prompt appears, tap ‘Confirm’.
- You might have to enter your iCloud password to turn off Find My.
- Your device will take some time to reset. Once that is done, you will see the welcome screen.
- From the Settings app, go to ‘Apps & Data’ and select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup.’
- Log into your iCloud account and select the last backup you created before deleting the text message that you want to retrieve.
Solution 2: Use Finder or iTunes
This method is ideal for users who have backed up their data on a PC or Mac instead of iCloud. If you have created a backup on Mac, you will use Finder, and for PC backup, you will use iTunes.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Start by connecting your iPhone to your PC.
- Now launch the Finder or iTunes app.
- In the iTunes app, tap the phone icon that appears on top of the screen. Go to the left side menu and select ‘Summary.’
- In the Finder app, select your phone’s name from the left-side menu.
- Select the option ‘Restore Backup.’
- This will retrieve your old messages, including the ones you deleted. In case, the messages don’t appear, your backup didn’t save those messages.
Solution 3: Retrieve deleted text messages from the carrier
If none of the above methods works, you should consider contacting your network carrier. They can help you get back your deleted messages. However, this is only possible if your service provider maintains a record of your messages.
You will have to sign into your carrier account and reach out to them using the customer service number. These are the 3 main methods to recover deleted text messages on your iPhone. Make sure to have the backup option enabled on your phone. This will help you to retrieve old data whenever needed.