Apple CEO Tim Cook kicked off the Worldwide Developers Conference – WWDC recently on 7th of June with his official address. The annual event which wrapped up on 11th of June, was held online this year because of the ongoing COVID 19, there were some major announcements from Apple. With the theme of “GLOW AND BEHOLD”, WWDC this year announced remarkable upgrades in the operating systems for iPhone and iPad with iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 along with watchOS 8, tvOS 15, macOS 15, iCloud+ and more. The general release of the upgrades and their features might take some time, however, it has kept the Apple users on the verge of excitement.
Apart from the usual upgraded operating systems, Apple announced that android users can now join Facetime calls and it seems that is what everybody is most excited about. However, it has also got people confused about all the “hows” related to it. So, here is a quick guide regarding everything you need to know about Apple users being able to invite Android users to Facetime calls and how Android users can join it.
THE ANNOUNCEMENT –
According to the recent announcement made by Apple at the Worldwide Developers Conference, iPhone users can now invite Android users to join a Facetime call! With this Apple has opened another dimension in this “Apple Exclusive” feature. So, let us check it out how it is really going to work.
THE REQUIREMENTS –
With the recently announced iPhoneOS 15 and iPadOS 15, Apple has rolled out a number of revolutionary features. The above mentioned feature is one of them. With iPhoneOS 15 and iPadOS 15, you can now invite your friends and family who are Android users to join a Facetime call.
HOW THIS WORKS –
These are the simple steps users can follow to invite an Android user to join a Facetime call.
- iPhone and iPad users with iPhoneOS 15 and iPadOS 15 need to create a Facetime conversation link that they can share with the Android users.
- However, the catch in this is – ONLY AN iOS OR MAC USER CAN START THE FACETIME CALL. That means an Android user can only join a call, not start it.
FOR APPLE USERS –
- Launch the Facetime application on your device (iPad or iPhone).
- Click on “Create Link”.
- Click on “Add Name” to provide the Facetime link an appropriate name.
- Now select the medium you want to share your link with. You can choose a medium of your choice be it mail or messages.
FOR ANDROID USERS –
- On receiving the link sent by the iPhone or iPad user, the Android users would be directed directly to a web page.
- The Android user then needs to feed his/her name in order to join the conversation.
- The Android users would however have the same features of the Facetime call while being on the call. They can disable the video, mute their own microphones and leave the call as well.
These are just some simple steps an iPhone or iPad user with iOS 15 can invite Android users on a FaceTime call.