Imagine I have settled down in my living room to enjoy my favorite movie or TV show, but to my dismay, the volume on my Apple TV remote is not working. I try pressing the volume button on the remote, but nothing happens. I then try to control the volume using the TV’s built-in controls, but they are not synced with my Apple TV. Frustrated, I wonder what could be causing the issue and how I can fix it. In this article, we will explore some of the possible reasons for Apple TV remote volume not working and provide solutions to get my volume control back up and running.
How To Fix “Apple TV Remote Volume Not Working”
Here are some effective solutions that you can try.
1. Check if it’s happening in every app
Before trying any other complex solution, check and confirm that the volume controls are not working in different apps. Try adjusting the volume on Amazon Prime, Netflix, or whichever streaming app you are using. If the problem is occurring in certain apps, then the remote is not to be blamed. Uninstall and reinstall the app or look for updates.
2. Restart your Apple TV remote
Sometimes just restarting the remote can solve the issue. If you are not sure how to restart an Apple TV remote, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the volume down and TV button simultaneously, until the status indicator light on your Apple TV turns off and on again.
- After releasing the buttons, a Connection Lost Notification will appear on the screen.
- Wait for some time for the remote to restart.
- Once you see the Connected Notification on-screen, you know your remote is ready to use.
- Check if the volume controls are working. If the issue persists, then move onto the next solution.
3. Restart your Apple TV
Restarting your Apple TV can fix a variety of glitches. This is probably the easiest way to fix the Apple TV remote not working issue.
All you have to do is hold the Menu or Back buttons simultaneously with the TV button. Don’t release the buttons until the indicator light of your Apple TV blinks rapidly.
When the indicator starts blinking, unplug your TV from the power outlet. Now wait for a few seconds before plugging it back again.
Switch on the TV and you should see the Apple logo appear on the screen. This means the reboot is successful.
4. Charge your remote
If your remote’s battery is low, it might malfunction. The best way to take care of this problem is to charge the remote. Follow these steps to check the battery percentage.
- Go to the Settings section.
- Access the Remotes and Devices section. There you will see the battery percentage of your remote.
If the battery is low, charge the remote for 30 minutes and it should be fine.
5. Update your Apple TV software
Using an outdated Apple TV software can lead to various issues and this is one of them. If your TV has received a new software update, install it. You will be notified whenever your Apple TV gets a new firmware update. You will have to install the updates manually. Just follow these steps and you should be good to go.
- Go to Settings.
- Select “System.”
- Go to “Software Updates.”
- If there’s a new update available, select the “Download and Install” option.
- The update process will take some time to get over. After it’s done check if the volume controls of your remote are working or not.
6. Clean the IR sensors
IR-related issues can cause the volume buttons to fail. This may happen if the IR sensors of your TV are blocked due to dirt or other foreign matter. Also, check if the transmitter of your remote is clean. The signal might fail to get through if there’s an obstruction. This is why you should always keep the IR sensors clean.
7. Use the remote closer to your Apple TV
Most Apple TV remote uses Bluetooth to control TV functions, including volume control. However, there are TVs that use Infrared to perform the same functions.
If there’s a problem with the infrared, the volume controls on your remote might fail to work. Unlike Bluetooth, infrared cannot work over long distances. If your TV uses infrared, then you should use the remote closer to the device. This will allow the infrared signals to work properly. As a result, the volume functions should work fine.
8. Pair your Apple TV remote again
If you have tried all the above methods, but none of them worked, then you should consider pairing the remote to your Apple TV again.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Switch on your Apple TV and go to the Home Screen.
- Point your remote at the TV and take it closer to the device.
- Press and hold the Menu or Back button with the volume up button for few seconds.
- After that place the remote on top of the TV.
- If the remote doesn’t sync, check if you have the updated tvOS version.
9. Use your iPad or iPhone as a temporary remote
Yes, you read that right. If your Apple TV remote is not working, then you can temporarily replace it with your iPhone or iPad.
Access the Control Center on your iPhone/iPad by swiping down the upper right corner of the screen. You will see the Remote icon, tap it.
All the remote functionalities will now show on your device’s screen. Use the volume controls to see if they are working. If the virtual remote works, but the physical one doesn’t, there’s some other issue with your device.
10. Seek help from Apple Support
If none of the methods work, you should consider taking the remote to Apple support. This is only if the remote is within the warranty period.
If your warranty period is already over, then you should consider buying a new remote.
The Apple TV remote is a quality device, but it is not safe from malfunctioning. If the volume controls of your remote control stops working, you should follow these solutions to fix it. If it doesn’t work, get a new one.